Friday, June 20, 2008

The Golden Rules of Social Networking

Leave it to the English to come up with the golden rules of etiquette for social networking. I found a twist on the 5 golden rules of polite social networking, originally issued by Debrett's (an English publication well known for giving good advice on decorum) in an article by the Independent:

1) A little mystery goes a long way
2) Your friends have ego's too
3) Friends, in fact, do equal kudos
4) Avoid e-misunderstanding
5) Don't mix business with pleasure
6) It's not a red light district
7) Don't drink and surf
8) Beware of musicians
9) Leave me alone!

These work for me but I think there are just too many to remember. If I may offer a more simplified, Americanized version:

Don't stalk, be considerate and appropriate..... and, really, if you need to worry that much about the rules you should probably just get out more!

No comments: